Yesterday Giada De Laurentiis was on The Today Show sharing some recipes for comfort foods. One of them was for a Chianti marinated beef stew.
Sounded good. I didn’t have the exact ingredients that she used, so I winged it. I used a Cabernet to marinate the meat instead of Chianti. Grant was watching the wine-marinating process.
Grant: “I haven’t had many wines.”
Me: “You’re only 7…”
Grant: “Yeah. Next year, then.”
There’s nothing like a little humor to make cooking dinner a bit more fun… My abbreviated version of Giada’s stew turned out pretty well.
Here’s what I did:
- 1 lb of stew meat (I used lamb… ‘cuz I had it)
- 1 lb of beef (I used blade steak… also ‘cuz I had it)
- 1 bottle of Cabernet
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb of bacon, sliced (divided)
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 stalk of celery, sliced
- 2 medium sized, unpeeled russet potatoes, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic (peeled, but whole)
- 1/2 tsp powdered sage
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 2 stems of fresh rosemary
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes
(And of course, a nice glass of wine.)