I had a different post on tap for today, but I am feeling antsy and wanted to get this off my chest. I do not panic easily… I am not a hysteric, but I firmly believe in being organized and being prepared.
We have been having a lot of little earthquakes here in Southern California, and there have been several good sized quakes around the world in the last week or so. With each earthquake I have been reminded that I need to check and update the emergency supplies for the car.
You don’t keep basic emergency supplies in your car…? Oh, honey, let’s talk.
|You could use a bin, a backpack, whatever you like.|
I keep first aid supplies in there…
Some of the items I keep in my first aid kit:
- Cold packs
- assorted sizes of bandages and butterfly suture strips
- gauze, cotton balls and medical tape
- Benadryl or other antihistamine (I’m allergic to bees. I keep an epi-pen in my purse)
- Pain relievers (Advil or Tylenol) and Aspirin
- Any OTC medicines you might need (antacids, etc.)
- Hydrogen Peroxide, rubbing alcohol, Neosporin and Bactine
- Maxi-pads and tampons (*updated: they aren’t technically “sterile” but are sanitary and hygienic and are good to staunch bleeding/fill a puncture wound )
- Sewing kit
- Copies of insurance cards, emergency phone numbers, other medical information
|It’s definitely best to have patterned Duck Tape, but any ole’ kind will do. 😉|
- flashlights and glow sticks
- sunscreen, lotion and bug repellent
- an old pair of athletic shoes and socks. (Could you imagine being in an emergency while wearing flip-flops, strappy sandals or a pair of pumps?! Not good.)
- pad of paper and pens (Sharpies are good.)
- Duck tape, painter’s tape, scissors
- rope, bungee cords and zip ties
- disinfecting wipes, Kleenex
- lighter and matches
Hubs reminded me of tools you should have:
- screwdrivers (both regular and Phillips-head)
- channel lock pliers
- small hammer
- box cutter or a razor blade of some kind
It’s better to have supplies and not need them, then to need them and get hosed because you don’t have them.
I know I’m forgetting something… help me out: what am I missing?