With Halloween over and November’s arrival, my thoughts turn back to warm and cozy fall decor. Today a brilliant decorator, Dagmar Obert, is sharing some of her top style picks to help create a warm and inviting space.
It’s always a pleasure to decorate for the holidays, and it’s even better when you’ve found pieces that fit perfectly in your home for more than just one day of festivities. Depending on the style of your home, you might think that finding these pieces can be a challenge. But there’s a graceful way to incorporate seasonal touches into any type of décor; it’s just a matter of taking into account the right vibe and color palette. Whether your home is modern, eclectic, traditional, or something else altogether, fall décor can be less about turkeys and acorns, and more about layering textures and adding warmth and coziness. So take a look at some decorative pieces throughout the home that will look as lovely on a regular day as they will on Thanksgiving itself.
In the Kitchen
1. Fern Cheese Board A gorgeous piece that’s as much art as it is a cutting board can easily make the transition from kitchen to dining room. 2. Ruffled pie dishes The same goes for these sweet pie plates; their rich hues would complement a pumpkin or apple pie to perfection.
In the Living Room
3. Embroidered Pillow An elegant jewel-toned throw pillow adds texture and softness to any sofa. 4. Lidded Basket As functional as it is lovely, this basket can be used to stash away all the blankets you’ll be bringing out for the chilly nights ahead.
In the Dining Room
5. Cornucopia A subtle nod to the approaching holiday, this cornucopia can be stuffed with anything you please: fruit, mini gourds, fall flowers, even candy. 6. Salad Plates These plates offer a slightly more casual and laid-back approach to hosting your meals; they’d look especially lovely paired with organic centerpieces and other unfussy decor.
In the Entryway
7. Textured Vase A simple vase like this one is the perfect place to display a handful of brilliant fall leaves, as a greeting to guests at your door. 8. Kilim-Covered Footstool A charming little footstool is the perfect assistant for removing cumbersome cold-weather boots.
On the Porch
9. Lover’s Knot Doormat This intricate doormat could easily be used year-round, but it’s especially fitting for the fall. 10. Wreath A lush autumnal wreath is a must for dressing up the outside of your home as well as the inside.
Dagmar Obert is a designer for Balsam Hill with over two decades of experience transforming homes into spaces that reflect comfort and elegance. Surrounded by family and friends, Dagmar takes delight in turning her own home into a venue where wonderful occasions are made more memorable. More of her how-to guides and inspiration articles on decorating and entertaining can be found here. You can follow her on Pinterest and Houzz.