Did you stockpile orange pumpkins in October? I bet you aren’t going to carve all of them, so if there are any leftovers please don’t throw them out! With a little spray paint you can take plain orange pumpkins and transform them into elegant pumpkins that will be great with your Thanksgiving decor.
This post contains affiliate links
These were super easy to make. I was in Pier 1 the other day and saw this pillow.
It also got me thinking about ALL of the real pumpkins I still had sitting around from Halloween. During the months of September and October it seems like I pick up a pumpkin or 3 every time I’m at the store. As a result, I have a zillion orange pumpkins still sitting here come November 1st. Which is fine and all, except for the fact that this year they do not go with my Thanksgiving dinner color scheme of white, taupe and green….
This was the next logical step. (For me, any way.) And it was super easy.
1. Gather up all of your pumpkins and some white or off-white spray paint. It doesn’t matter what kind. Obviously it is not necessary to protect your pumpkins from rusting, but it is what I had on hand. (This is also a good time to assess your pumpkin-purchasing-problem and vow not to buy so many next year.)
2. Spray the pumpkins and wait for them to dry. Grab some green acrylic paint and a small paintbrush.
3. Paint little stripes of green paint down the sides of the pumpkin.
4. Working quickly, dip a wider brush in a little water and brush over the green stripes.
5. Add a bit of pearlized paint and brush over the watered down green.
6. Spray the pumpkins with a clear gloss sealant.
7. Gather your bling, some floral pins and some ribbon.
8. Cut ribbon to length, wrap around pumpkin and either tie a bow or secure with floral pins.
9. Use floral pins to secure the pendant to the pumpkin.
10. Arrange your pumpkins in some Thanksgiving vignette. (I will be using mine as part of the centerpieces for my Thanksgiving table.)
And after Thanksgiving (but before the Christmas decorations come out) I will take these same pumpkins and give them this epsom salt and glitter treatment.