Sharing things that make life a little easier. Little tips, little tricks.
- My teeth are real. However, I still buy denture cleaning tablets. Before I get into the shower I take my wedding rings and one of the little denture tablets and drop them into a little cup of water. My rings are clean by the time I get out of the shower. The best part? My rings are minty fresh.
- I am forever buying things that need to be returned to the store. I’ve learned that if there is a return to be made, I must immediately put the item back in the store’s bag, along with the receipt. Then that bag must get put in my car, or it will be lost in the black hole that is this house. I may drive around with it for weeks, but I always know exactly where the stuff is and when I find myself at/near that store, I never have to say, “Oh shoot, and I have that thing to return, but it’s at home…”
- I’ve mentioned before that I put a little smear of peanut butter on the bread before putting down the jelly on a PB&J. It keeps the jelly from getting the bread soggy and nasty.
- My school age kids make their own lunches. I have a shelf in my pantry that has granola bars, cookies, pretzels and other snacks. I keep a box of the snack size ziploc bags on the shelf and they help themselves. They make their sandwiches, grab fruit and a juice box and they’re ready to roll. (I have a breakfast shelf too….)
- I open the mail everyday as soon as I get it. It is either trash/recycle or a bill. It is either tossed or set aside with the “bill book” – very seldom is it fun stuff in the mail. For the most part, I don’t get a build up of paper clutter, which has always been a huge problem for me.
- Whenever I have a recipe that calls for tomato paste, it always seems like it calls for about 2 Tbsp… which means the rest of the can will go to waste if I don’t figure out how to use it up quickly. I started taking both ends off of the little cans of tomato paste and pushing the paste out one end. It is still in the shape of the can and I slice it just as I would a few tablespoons from stick of butter. The remainder gets partially frozen, then sliced into tablespoon sized discs and frozen completely. I have little pre-measured tablespoons of tomato paste.
- I don’t like having to buy a big bunch of fresh herbs for a dish when I only need a little bit. (And I don’t have a very green thumb, so don’t bother telling me to grow my own…) Fresh herbs can be chopped and frozen in baggies of water and they keep a long time. I use tons of cilantro when I cook. When it’s on sale, I buy extra, chop it up and freeze it in chicken broth… then it’s ready to get tossed into a chicken chili I make all the time.
- I have an afterschool routine for my kids: snack, homework, chores, then play. Period.
- We have a one sport/activity at a time rule. Kids get over-scheduled, and in a big family, one over-scheduled person has a detrimental affect on the whole family.
- I always am looking for new tips and tricks.
I LOVE taking the end off of both sides and squeezing out the tomato sauce. Guess I never realized you could freeze it. Duh.
I have some tips too, but I didn’t realize that was the topic today, and I already did a weird post today and I don’t feel like doing my tips now. Guess I’ll do em later in the week. And they’re not as good as yours anyway! Saw you linked up on Thrifty Decor Chick! Awesome!!
Great tips! Paper clutter is my enemy and it sometimes (like now) gets the best of me.
Love your list. I’m still trying to implement your list for ‘in case of emergency.’ I put some stuff in my car already! I love the peanut butter idea because I hate soggy bread. Thanks for the tips.
you have forever changed my life.
so, how do you feel about bedtimes?
Allergic to spankings.
Thank you for the award!
I LOOOVE to list things I don’t like!
BTW I have done that tomato paste freezing thing and found these unidentifiable little lumps a few years later and threw them away.
Did the same with chicken broth too.
I ain’t no Martha Stewart!
I had no idea about denture cleaner. Does it work on all types of gold I wonder! We use a lot of herbs – especially cilantro – I could probably eat cilantro in just about anything. What an awsome tip to freeze it in water!!
You’re full of surprises.
Great tips. I do that with tomato paste too.:)
Another one I use is: As soon as we get home, we each take about 10 minutes to relax. No requests for anything AT ALL. I use this w/ one kid, so I’m sure it will be very beneficial w/ multiple kids. I know that if the rest of the night is crazy, I at least had my 10-15 minutes.
Love the denture cleaner! Great tips!
Thanks for stopping by and saying hi! Have a great day.
I love the polident idea! I also spy some skippy natural peanut butter…yummmmmmmm!!!
Becca @ The Texas Darlings says
Very nice- I always forget things at home – returns, coupons, etc. So I am now putting them in my car. The only problem? My sweet hubby likes to clean my car and brig all that stuff back inside the house. It is an ongoing crazy cycle!!
Fabulous tips! I will have to try the Polident on my rings ~ I wonder if it’s save to use on pearls?
Have a wonderful day!
You freeze tomato paste and herbs?!!?
You are too on top of things!
Please do me a favor and visualize me sticking my finger down my throat at your organization!
I loved your tips! I love the idea of the tomato paste and herbs! I’ve had the same problem! Thanks! (oh, but now they sell tomato paste in a tube…that is cool.)
Have a good one!
Amanda Jo says
You are just full of great tips!! I will never make a PB&J the same way again…and next year, my little guy is so making his own lunch! Now I’m off to read more of your blog! 🙂
Okay… ya know what? I’m feelin’ pretty good about myself today… I do many of these things myself. Can you see me patting myself on the back?
Those were great! I especially like the idea of going through the mail everyday to eliminate all that paper clutter. So much nicer.
And I’m totally going to try that denture cleaner trick too!
Great list. I really like the fresh herb idea.
Alex the Girl says
I swear, if you come to my house for just a few days, get me started on being organized, I promise I will stay that way for at least a week, maybe even two. Promise.
I hate wasting food and I am absolutely in love with your ideas for the tom. paste and the herbs! They can go into the freezer next to my frozen cookie dough! Yay! Thanks!!!
I especially love the after-school schedule – THAT will come in handy when my kids go off to school next year.
You have a lot of great tips!
Good tips Vivienne!
I love them all. Especially the denture idea for jewelry – genius. And the receipts tips – I am so horrible about actually returning my returns!
I love this topic. I couldn’t think of anything good to post myself, but I love what everyone is posting!
That is a great tip about the tomotoe paste. I will have to try that one. I also will have to try the cilantro tip. I love cilantro but it always goes to waste. Great tips!!
Chic Mama says
I love the tomato paste idea! Thanks for sharing!
Love your comments Viv, thanks for sharing your hints!
great tips! I will be stealing some of them.
what an awesome cool post idea! Lots of great ideas – loving the herb idea!!!
I love all your tips! Tomato Paste and herbs..the snack cabinet (love snacks in containers)…The CHICKEN CHILI! I have a crock pot one but it’s almost like an enchilada chicken chili. I’m trying yours today!
Those are some great ideas. I will totally take the lunch idea when the time comes.
I love these ideas…I’m late obviously but I did one if you’d like to come see…and I LOVE the jewelry cleaning idea–have to try that!! Thanks!!