Rich and I had a date last night. We went to see Chris Isaak at the Orange County Fair. (He was awesome!) Vanessa Carlton opened for him. (She? Not so awesome.) We saw lots of the people and things you’d expect at a Fair… crying kids in strollers, large women in clothing that is waaaay too skimpy, sunburns, fried everything on a stick…. people who will later regret that they spent $30 in quarters in order to win a big, cheap, stuffed animal worth about $2.
However, some of the other things we saw were almost as entertaining as the concert:
- Silicon enhanced women of the OC, with big, sparkly diamonds, designer tank tops and tattoos. Sort of like Biker Barbie.
- Women who thought the Fair was a more formal occasion, with heels and nice dresses. Or they got lost while heading to a wedding.
- A large, crazy woman who also thought the Fair was a more formal occasion and wore chunky, high heeled loafers with ankle socks; a black mini skirt and tank top with a glittery silver scarf over the top of that, wrapped around her like a sarong. Also a large crystal and rhinestone necklace that may or may not have once been part of a chandelier.
- Brave and foolish people who paid $13 for a plastic bucket (it’s a souvenir too!) of sliced potatoes that had been beer-battered and fried. (I include my husband in this group.)
- Foolish people who paid $5 for 4 battered, deep fried Oreos. (I include myself in this group.)
- Teenagers wearing such stupid outfits that I wonder if Eminem and K-Fed had an unholy union that somehow produced offspring.
- A middle aged man hanging out of a Mercedes, braying like a donkey. Upon closer inspection, we discovered it wasn’t that he had spent too much time at the petting zoo, but rather, too much time at the beer garden. ew.
Ah, the OC.
Money may not be able to buy class or good taste, but it will pay for your angioplasty.