I shared this little lunch time project over at Skip To My Lou’s Craft Camp series last month. I am not generally a “kids’ craft” kind of mom, but I still need to make Grant lunch, right? Might as well liven it up every now and then.
In this particular case, we made sea-monster hot dogs.
First, get your little person some clean paintbrushes, a plate, and some ketchup, mustard, or any other spreadable, edible condiment they might want on their hot dog and ask them to paint an ocean scene.
|My guy is a ketchup and mustard kind of kid.
I could not convince him that relish “seaweed” would enhance both his painting and his lunch.
While you child creates an edible masterpiece, you can prepare the Sea Monsters.
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil.
2. Cut the hot dogs in half.
3. Make a slice in the half hot dog, but do not cut all the way through.
4. Make several more slices, again, taking care not to cut all the way through.
5. The cut end should look like this.
6. Cook in the boiling water until the “tentacles” curl up. (About 2 minutes.)
Launch an epic battle.
Eat your opponent.
What a great idea! Why not make lunch fun, especially if you can do it in a way that’s simple and easy? My boys would have loved these!
Urban Earthworm says
This is an adorable idae! I wonder if it would work with vegan hot dogs? Either way, totally fun!
I don’t know why it wouldn’t work with vegan dogs.