This recipe for butternut squash soup is probably one of the easiest I’ve ever made, and it is delicious! Creamy and rich, with a spicy kick of cayenne pepper… it’s just about perfect!
The beauty of this recipe is that you can buy the prepped cubes of raw butternut squash and just toss everything into the crock pot. Come back in 6 to 8 hours and it’s just about perfect!
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 2 lbs squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 c water
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- ½ tsp dried marjoram leaves
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp ground red (cayenne) pepper
- 1 8-oz package cream cheese, cubed (Add at the end.)
- In a 10-inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender.
- In a 3 to 4 quart slow cooker, mix onion and remaining ingredients except the cream cheese.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Use a stick / immersion blender to blend the mixture until smooth. (If you don't have one, use a blender or food processor, blending a little of the mixture at a time, or if you'd like it a little on the chunky side, mix with a potato masher.)
- Stir in cream cheese. Cover and continue to cook on low about 30 minutes longer or until all the cream cheese is melted, stirring with a wire whisk until smooth.
You can add a dollop of sour cream if you like and can serve with homemade Parmesan croutons.
Slice thin rounds of a Baguette, brush with melted butter, sprinkle with salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese and bake at 350 degrees until crispy, about 5 to 8 minutes.
Laina Turner says
This looks so YUMMY!
It is!!! I hope you like it!