If you follow me on Instagram, you know that we went on a quick camping trip over the weekend. I wanted great food that was easy to prepare and could be cooked over the campfire. I also wanted to use up a bit of what was already in the fridge before we left. One of the things I made was this Loaded Skillet Cornbread.
You will need:
- cornbread mix (I used 2 boxes of Jiffy)
- 2 Tbsp butter, plus more for the skillet
- 3 ears of corn
- 1/2 pound of bacon, fried and chopped in bits
- approx 1 cup of diced tomato (any kind. I used grape tomatoes)
- 1 small can of diced green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
I took butter and liberally greased a cast iron skillet, then poured the cornbread mixture in. Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top of the batter and cover the skillet, either with a lid or with foil. (Or in this case, both.)
You want to set the skillet over medium low heat. If it is too hot, the bottom will burn. You can do this over the campfire, or on the grill in your own backyard.
You will be able to tell when it’s done with the top becomes a beautiful golden brown color, and a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
It’s really yummy. Enjoy!